You are at Doug laoshi, home of Doug Stetar's online teaching persona. This site contains the online course resources for my Vancouver Island University teaching, and supports my role as professor in the Media Studies Department at VIU. Below are links to fully online courses, online materials for face-2-face courses, and miscellaneous teaching resources. If you are looking for my other sites and personas, check out digiDoug (my digital media resource site) or popmongrel.com (my popular culture research site).
You may have noticed a Chinese theme to this site. It reflects my interest in East Asian culture, particularly China. I'm excited to be able to apply my expertise in this area to a new course I'm teaching this year: MEDI 215: Global Popular Culture Genres (East Asian Pop Culture). In this course we'll explore a range of Pop Culture from East Asia (Japan, Korea and Greater China) including: Manga, Anime, K-pop, J-pop, martial arts films, sports, food (sushi, dumplings & Kimchi) and various other aspects of East Asian Pop Culture.
If you are a student you're probably looking for one of these current course sites (enrolled student access only):
- INTR 100 F16 - Popular Culture & University Writing
- MEDI 215 F16 - Global Popular Culture Genres
- MEDI 265 F16 - Game Theory & Analysis (online)
- DIGI 301 F16 - Digital Media Literacies
And here are some courses I regularly teach. The full sites are now offline, but I've included links to the syllabi for each course. (Note: These syllabi may not be fully current.)
- Digital Media Studies
- DIGI 320 - Web Production II: Presentation & Accessibility (online)
- MEDI 265 - Game Theory & Analysis (online)
- DIGI 366: Game Design
- DIGI 440 S13 - Digital Identities
- Interdisciplinary Studies